6.01.2004

she's right here, snoring

I have a theory that Some time ago, the big Head Honcho of Life looked down, saw I didn't have kids, wasn't likely to have them, and said, "Hey, wait just a minute. There's been a mistake here. You don't get off that easy! Thought you could sneak by me, eh? Well watch THIS!"

And poof, as quickly as you can say acne medicine, I had 65 teenagers as I suddenly found myself teaching high school.

But recently, apparently this same Grand Poobah of All decided that this just wasn't enough penance for trying to slip through the radar, because now, suddenly, through no volition on my part, I have a newborn. Puppy, that is. OK, well about two months old. It started innocently enough:

Last week I was walking my dogs on Monterey beach, when one of the other regular dog people came running up and said, 'You're just the person I'm looking for!' Seems his neighbors had a puppy, and it got Parvo, so they just left it out in their yard to die, and he finally couldn't stand it, so he took her from them and got her to the vet. Her chances of recovery were iffy.

She looked a lot like one of my dogs, so he wondered if I might give her foster care until she could be adopted. I kinda sorta said maybe. Turns out she was at my regular vet, and today I just happened to go by, just to see how she was coming along, and they just happened to have left a phone message on my machine telling me to come and get her. She's sleeping on my lap as I type this, her little pink spotted belly filled with food. No name yet. Zelda, and June Cleaver are possibilities, but so is Dweezle. Jury's still out and may be for some time. The inevitable puppy photos will follow soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home