8.10.2004

at long last links!

Haven't blogged in oh so long for reasons of obsession. Total driven focus on one thing, and one thing only. Not a man, not a dog, a website. Creating a web site. I know, I know, how mis-guided and pathetic.

But wait, the site is really just the manifestation of taking the time at long last, in year seven of teaching design, to take a deep breath and think it all out, plan, strategize, focus every molecule of creativity on coming up with the best ideas and projects and approaches I'm capable of imagining, and then getting it all down on, uh, not paper exactly. Pixels. It's down on pixels. Yeah.

Video production, web design, graphic design, advanced design, and my new class, journalism, aka the school paper.

Like most arty types, I'm good at going with the flow, winging it, being spontaneous. And that was fine for the few kids every year who had that special brand of self-direction and focus that meant they were going to work and do great things no matter what. But for the other ninety percent, I didn't have enough structure. Which meant I couldn't be very demanding of them, since expectations weren't clear, which resulted in a bunch of kids with too much time on their hands, not knowing what to do. But no more.

Without further ado, here it is. Be sure to check out Bean's elements of mastery, and the words page with word O' day. Fun, I hope.

themeanmissbean.com

That's the mean miss bean dot com, for those of you who can't read words when they're all squished together.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mean Miss Bean,


 I realize that it was probably intentional and meant to mimic a very au courant style of blogging but I feel compelled to point out a glaring grammatical error. I only do this out of fear that in the future, you will be correcting one of your newspaper students, silently wondering how they got this far without learning the fundamentals of grammer, when they cry indignantly, " but Miss Bean!!! You yourself started a sentence with 'And' right here in your very own blog for all the world to see." I doubt that they will understand the complexities involved and that your criticism will seem unbearably unfair. Please don't hold it against me for pointing this out. I do it only for your own interests.


Sincerely,


A concerned proof reader

NOTE:
I'm not sure who posted this, but my well-meaning sister took it off, trying to protect me from embarassment. I don't mind it at all. Technically, they're right of course, but in my own defense, I claim that blogs are by their nature a different form, and it's appropriate to use more casual language that mimics speech more closely than it follows grammatical constructs.

The school paper is a more formal vehicle, and represents the scholarship of the entire student body, so it must adhere to different rules, and having had my own tendency pointed out, I will be extra vigillant on this point, so thanks.

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Concerned Proof Reader,

Take the stick out of your butt. Please don't hold it against me for pointing this out. I do it only for your own interests.


Sincerely,

A Concerned Student

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home