11.09.2004

You read my mind...

A friend sent me this link (click on the title of this post), and it expressed so well my post-election sentiments, except for one thing; I AM checking out real estate prices in Vancouver! And off-leash dog parks, and job opportunities, and immigration policies. It sounds like heaven on earth; public transportation, sophistication, landscapes and oceanscapes, a cosmopolitan feel, moderate climate, French-as-a-second-language. Near enough to my parents that it's not a burden to visit. Affordable. Lots of lofts for sale at prices I can pay, until I realized that they were listed in Canadian dollars, so they were even CHEAPER! I'm thinking I'll go check it out over Spring vacation, visit again during Summer vacation, and see if I can make it happen.

I really like my job here, although I constantly feel overwhelmed and never caught up, but I do feel well-used. I think a college or university level job would be a better fit. More students who are there voluntarily, and eager for what I have to offer. I love my sullen, hormonally-distracted teens, and my adult classes, but colleges classes allow me to be much more rigorous and intellectually challenging. The diversity is more fun, too.

I've noticed a distinct pattern in my adult life; every eight years I go through a complete molt. I change location, job, appearance, almost every facet of my life. It's never a conscious decision or result of boredom or anything like that. Something just comes along and POOF, away I go. I'm in year seven of being a high school teacher on the Monterey Peninsula. For the last several years I couldn't see beyond my present situation, couldn't imagine why I would leave or what I would do, but this may be the next gig coming up on the horizon. Too soon to tell, but I'm pondering, googling, checking it all out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home