12.08.2004

Talk about cool and gutsy

Among my students there are a brother and sister, twins, both handsome and stylish and very, very smart. Both nice and cool, but I didn't realize just how cool until yesterday.

The boy, who tends towards somberness and self-containment, is in my web design class, and there he was, working away, and I was helping other students, and suddenly I turned around and he was standing up and only then did I realize that he was wearing a long black—skirt.

And damned if he didn't look totally natural and right in it. It sat low on his hips and flared out into a full skirt down to his ankles. It had subtle black appliqued trim on it. Seems that he woke up with a yen to wear an intensely yellow shirt he had, but couldn't find anything to go with it until he came across his sister's skirt. At least I think it was hers.

Weird thing was, he looked totally masculine in it, and dignified, elegant even. And the other great thing was that no one made a big deal about it. No snide remarks from any of the boys, just business as usual. All very matter-o-fact. How amazing for a high school senior to have the confidence to pull that off. I'm in awe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home